Grissini dog bread sticks are simple to make and they make home-made dog treats that look like they are straight from your local dog bakery!
Round out your collection of gourmet dog treat recipes with this delightful Italian dog bread.
Shaping the Grissini dog bread sticks takes only a few minutes of your time.
Grissini are Italian bread sticks.
Unlike the originals which were made from white flour, our dog homemade treat version is flavored with scrumptious beef and loaded with wholesome natural ingredients.
Grissini dog bread was always a favorite bakery dog treat for Natural Pet Bakery.
And they’ll soon become a favorite at your house, as well.
Grissini Dog Bread – The Italian Connection
Today you can still find Italian Grissini in some specialty bakeries, mostly in big cities like New York City, and in Italian bakeries.
But the good news is that you can make the gourmet dog treat recipes for your dog right at home. They are really quite simple and they don’t take a lot of time.
Sesame seeds add flavor and interest to dog bread sticks.
Ingredients for Grissini Dog Bread Sticks
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil (Of course!)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry baking yeast
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons organic soy flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon beef soup base
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in your bread maker.
- Use the Dough setting.
- When the dough is done, remove it from the bread maker.
- Divide the dough into 24 equal portions. I use a sharp paring knife to do this. You don’t have to be exact. Pretty close to equal portions, is good enough.
- Roll each piece into a cigar shape and place each bread stick on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- If you want to add sesame seeds: brush the bread sticks with slightly beaten egg white and 1 T water, and then sprinkle with sesame seeds. The water and egg white mixture will help the sesame seeds stick to the dough.
- Bake the grissini at 275-300 degrees for about 1 hour. You will want them to be a nice golden brown when they are done.
- Turn off the oven and let the bread sticks continue to dry and harden your homemade dog treats, for several hours or overnight. This also works well in a dehydrator.
Although Italian Grissini gourmet dog chews can be adapted to the hardness or chewiness that you want for your dog, these treats are best stored in the refrigerator or freezer.