Dog bagel peanut butter dog treats are simple to make, but they make a big impression when you make them as gifts or serve them at a dog party.
This recipe for dogs makes homemade dog cookies that look like people bagels, right out of a bakery in New York City! Topped with some cream cheese, the bagels look people-good!
Homemade bagel peanut butter dog treats are quick and easy to make, and they are healthy for your dog too! Skipper, our miniature schnauzer, loves peanut butter dog bagels.
I developed this peanut butter treat recipe for her because it combines healthy ingredients with the peanut butter taste that she loves so well.
For very special occasions (like her birthday), I spread a bit of cream cheese on top of a homemade dog treat bagel and give it to her when we are eating our breakfast.
To make the bagels, I use a stainless steel doughnut cutter.
If you don’t have a donut cutter, you can improvise and use a glass for the outside and a small pill bottle top or other small lid to cut out the inside “hole”.
Ingredients for Dog Bagel Treats
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup barley flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 T. wheat germ
- 1 1/2 tsp. dry baking yeast
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 T. sesame seeds
- Place all the ingredients in your bread machine and set it for the dough cycle.
- When the dough is ready, remove it and divide it into several pieces.
- Roll the dough into sheets that are about 1/2” thick.
- Cut each dog homemade treat with a donut cutter or glass and lid, as discussed above.
- Place the peanut butter bagels on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover them with a clean towel.
- Let the bagels rise until they are doubled – about an hour. They will get bigger—actually about double the size that you started with.
- Brush the home-made dog treats with the beaten egg. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. They usually stay, but you can aid the process by gently pushing the sesame seeds into the top of the dough.
- Bake the bagels at 275-300 degrees for at least an hour. They are done when they are a nice golden brown and are crispy.
- Turn off the oven and let the home-made dog treats continue to dry in the oven overnight.
Store the bagel homemade dog treats in a cool dry place. They can be stored at room temperature for at least a month, as long as they are completely dry.