Chicken Dog Treat Recipe
This chicken dog treat recipe is flavored with chicken broth and bits of chicken, in addition to healthy whole grains and bran.
The little chicken shaped cookies are perfect for Easter gifts, a dog party or just for everyday fun!
If you live in the country, your dog may have chased chickens—but he won’t have to chase these little characters to get a tasty bite of them.
The Chicken Chompers in the photo measure a full 3 x 2 3/4 inches. You can make them larger or smaller, depending on the size of your dog.
If you have children, plan to spend a Saturday afternoon making dog treats for your pet! You’ll find that it’s lots of fun—for both you and the kids!
This Chicken Cookie Cutter is nice because it is made of stainless steel and it’s a small size, perfect for dog treats.
Chicken Dog Treat Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 T. wheat bran
- 2 T. organic soy flour
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or 1 T. chicken soup base
- Place all the ingredients in your bread maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Or, if you have a heavy duty mixer with a dough hook, mix the dough using your mixer’s dough hook. If you use a mixer, you can go right to Step 4.
- Set the bread maker for the “dough” cycle.
- When the bell rings, remove the dough and divide it into 3 equal balls.
- On a floured cutting board, roll each ball into a sheet that is 1/4″ thick.
- Cut the chicken shaped cookies with a floured chicken cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on a greased cookie sheet or an ungreased silicone baking mat.
- Let them rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Bake the cookies at 275 degrees F for about an hour.
- Turn off the oven and let the cookies continue to dry in the oven for several hours or overnight. If you have a dehydrator, you can use it to finish the drying process. Dehydrate for 2-3 hours, and you should have completely dry dog cookies.
I know your dog will love these homemade dog cookies. Make sure you take a peek at my other dog treat recipes!