This recipe for cheese dog biscuits has a delicious cheese flavor and smells great when baking in the oven. Make the recipe in just a few minutes if you have the right tools.
Homemade dog biscuits are easy and quick to make, and cutting the biscuits is a cinch with a pizza cutter.
The cheese biscuits use dried Parmesan cheese or powdered Cheddar cheese, so you don’t have to bother with the mess and bother of grating cheese to make them.
Our dog Skipper loves the cheese flavor (and smell) of these dog treats, and she eagerly waits by the oven, when she smells them baking…
Flax seeds make these cheese dog biscuits a heart healthy dog treat, especially for dogs who are now in their senior years.
The easiest way to make the dog biscuits is to roll out the dough and just cut them into squares or shapes that approximate squares.
Shortcut to Homemade Dog Biscuits
I’ve found that, if a dog treat recipe is really quick and easy, I’m more inclined to make it. If it takes a lot of effort to make a recipe, I don’t make it that often.
That’s why I developed an easy way to cut dog biscuits—for those lazy days! I use two different kitchen tools that have helped me shorten my time in the kitchen.
The first is a palm held pizza cutter. It fits nicely in either hand and gives you more control than other cutters. It also helps you cut the biscuits faster.
However, there is still a more efficient tool. It’s called a 5 wheel pastry cutter, and this baby gets the job done in no time!
This is the tool that I recommend to people starting a dog bakery, but it’s inexpensive enough that anyone baking for their dog can afford to take advantage of it.
The Pastry Cutter can be used to cut anything from noodles to brownies, and it will give you 5 evenly spaced cuts at a time. There is a knack to using one of these, so it will take a little practice to become proficient with it. And with the less expensive home baker model, you need to use a steady pressure to get even cuts.
With either of these tools, you should wash them immediately, to avoid the headache of washing dried on dough, off them later.
Enjoy making these homemade dog biscuits! Your dog is going to love them!
Ingredients for Cheese Dog Biscuits
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable, coconut or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. non-aluminum baking powder
- 3T. Parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese powder
- 1 T. turmeric powder
- 2T. flax seeds
- 1 T. dry milk
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, using your mixer. Use a beater that will handle heavier dough, as this will end up being thick like cookie dough.
- Divide the dough into 3 portions.
- Roll each ball of dough into a sheet that is ¼” thick, using a rolling pin dusted with flour (or with a cheesecloth cover). You can also use a new kind of non-stick rolling pin and avoid much of the mess!
- Using a pizza cutter or pastry cutter, cut the dough into squares (or any shape that you like).
- Bake the biscuits on a greased baking sheet at 275 degrees F for 45-60 minutes. Check on the dog biscuits frequently to make sure that they don’t get too brown.
- Turn off the oven and let the dog treats continue to dry for several hours or overnight.
Your dog’s cheese biscuits from will keep well in an airtight container in your cupboard for a few months. If you intend to keep them longer, you might put them in the refrigerator or freezer.
Looking for a good source of store-bought cheese biscuits for your dog? These high quality dental chews have a cheese flavor and they freshen your dog’s breath and help prevent gum disease.